5 Ingredient Paleo Chocolate Cake (Grain, Dairy & Refined Sugar Free)
Here is a moist and super-flavorful cake made with just a couple ingredients that I love turning into layered birthday cakes or cupcakes. You can use your favorite paleo frosting or my Paleo Nutella, coconut whipped cream and fresh berries like I did here.
5 Ingredient Paleo Chocolate Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups date paste*
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Dutch processed, whatever that means)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (butter would be divine as well)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Paleo Nutella
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Fresh Berries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk all ingredients an pour into a greased 8 x 8 square cake pan. Bake for about an hour, or until toothpick comes out clean in the middle and center springs back to the touch.
- *To make the date paste, cover 2 cups pitted Medjool or Delegate dates with enough boiling water to cover. Allow to soak at least 30 minutes, or until really soft. Strain water and blend dates in a food processor or Vitamix, adding reserved liquid slowly until its the consistency of yogurt. Keeps in fridge for a couple months.
- To assemble layers, spread with paleo nutella, coconut whipped cream, or your favorite paleo frosting. I used fresh berries, but you can use nuts, coconut or chocolate chips, too!
2016 Camille's Paleo Kitchen