Kickin’ a coffee habit can be downright H.A.R.D. That roasty slightly bitter taste blended with cream and sugar all while giving you the energy to jump start your day….Who would want to let that go?
The thing is, for those with adrenal fatigue, digestive issues or a host of other health conditions, coffee ain’t doin’ you no favors.
(Here’s a very interesting article that can help you determine if coffee is ok for you to drink or if you should skip it.)
Because I’m not a fan of choosing health or flavor, I have concocted a recipe that is: as tasty as morning coffee, but fortified with nutrients that will support rather than sap your adrenals, give you a jolt of energy, and make you feel that warm and fuzzy feeling you love from coffee.
I also would recommend that instead of going cold turkey on the coffee, you may want to slowly taper off over a couple week period. So at the beginning, you may use coffee instead of hot water, then make the coffee weaker, then drink the recipe as written.
Aaaaaaand if you are not interested in giving up coffee, but want to make your coffee addiction a healthier part of your day, just skip the Dandy Blend and use coffee.
I realize that a bunch of these ingredients may seem foreign to you. If you click on each ingredient link, you will be taken to a place to order that also includes descriptions of all the health benefits below.
- 1 1/2-2 coffee and/or boiling water (see note above on weaning from coffee)
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter (Most Costco’s carry Kerrygold Salted Irish Butter, too)
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed gelatin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dandy Blend (omit if using coffee)
- 1 teaspoon ashwaganda powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cordycep powder
- 1/4 teaspoon reishi powder
- 1-2 teaspoons your sweetener of choice (stevia, xylitol, erythritol, maple sugar/syrup, raw honey, coconut sweetener)
- Blend all ingredients on high in a blender. An immersion blender works, too, if your cup is big enough, but if you want to emulsify the butter and oil, you cant just stir it in. Believe me, I’ve tried it! Here is a link for the blender we have. We make our superfood coffee blend each morning with the individual cups. They’ve become our favorite kitchen accessory!
- Note: I recommend pre-mixing a larger batch of the dry ingredients so you don’t have to measure each one each day.