Here’s a delicious recipe for you to make this Thanksgiving or Christmas. I made it using my ingredients for my Sun Basket shipment that came in the mail yesterday. I modified it a bit to speed up the cutting of the veggies using my food processor, but you can use a knife, too, of course 😉
Here’s some other tips to speed your prep up. Veggies you can cut super fast using the standard blade and thick slicer blade that comes with most food processors:
1. Onions, carrots and celery, the base for many dishes like soups and stuffing. I use the slicer for this and quarter the onions to fit in the shoot (the way I did the squash in the video).
2. Slice hard squashes and brussels sprouts easily like in the video.
3. Peel several heads of garlic and chop in food processor. Use in anything! You can pour some olive oil over it to keep a bit longer, too.
4. Chop your fresh herbs.
5. Make salads that have heartier veggies like cabbage, apples and carrots using the slicer or shredder attachment.
Hope this helps speed things up for you!
I have loved getting my ingredients from Sun Basket. Click here for my full review + 3 more fast weeknight recipes to try.
Brussels Sprouts with Delicata Squash, Currants, Hazelnuts and Cinnamon Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup currants
- 1 pound delicata squash
- 1¼ pounds Brussels sprouts
- 6 ounces shallots
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 ounces roasted hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
Prep the ingredients
- Heat the oven to 450ºF.
- In a small bowl, combine the currants with the cinnamon vinaigrette and let plump, stirring once or twice.
- Cut the delicata squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. Cut the squash crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Trim the root ends from the Brussels sprouts; cut the Brussels sprouts into quarters (or slice in food processor as in video)
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots (or chop in food processor as in video)
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
Roast the vegetables
- In a large bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts with half the shallots, half the thyme, and 1 tablespoon oil. Toss well to coat, and season with salt and pepper.
- In a second large bowl, combine the delicata squash with the remaining shallots and thyme and 1 tablespoon oil. Toss well to coat, then season with salt and pepper.
- On a sheet pan, spread the Brussels sprouts, cut side down, in an even layer; on a second sheet pan, spread the delicata squash mixture in an even layer.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven, rotating the pans halfway, until the Brussels sprouts are browned, crispy, and tender, and the squash is lightly browned and soft, 25 to 30 minutes. While the vegetables roast, prepare the hazelnuts.
Finish the dish
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts.
- Mix all vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl or serving dish, combine the roasted Brussels sprouts and squash with the hazelnuts, currants, and cinnamon vinaigrette. Mix well to combine, then season to taste with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve the Brussels sprouts and squash mixture hot or at room temperature, straight from the serving dish or spooned onto individual plates.
2016 Camille's Paleo Kitchen