Key Lime Parfait
You will never miss refined sugar or cream in this sinfully delicious paleo key lime pie recipe made with the super healthy fat from coconut and avocado.
- 2 tbs (30 ml) coconut butter
- 6 Medjool dates
- 1 cup (110 g) toasted almond slices
- 1/2 cup (40 g) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) maple syrup
- 1 to 2 tbs (8 to 16 g) coconut flour
- 2 cans (14 ounces, or 392 g each) full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- Fresh lime zest
- Whipped coconut cream
To make the crust:
- Toast the almond slices in an oven preheated to 350 degrees. It should only take about 10 minutes for them to get nicely toasted so check often, and take them out when they just start to brown. It's better for them to be a bit underdone than burnt.
- Melt the coconut butter in a double boiler or hot water bath (obviously you'll leave it in the sealed plastic bag in comes packaged in) and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the dates until they form a paste.
- Add the almond slices and coconut flakes and process again until the ingredients are incorporated. You'll probably have to scrape around the outside of the food processor a couple times to get all the sticky date paste into the almond/coconut meal.
- Add the melted coconut butter, vanilla extract, and salt and process. The mixture should be moist enough to stick together if you press it between your fingers. You can add additional coconut butter if you mixture is too dry.
To make the filling: Peel the avocados and place in a food processor together with the lime juice, maple syrup, and coconut flour.
- Process until smooth and thick. Carefully remove the coconut milk from the refrigerator and scoop out the cream that has accumulated at the top.
- Beat the coconut cream in a bowl with a hand mixer until it reaches the consistency of whipped cream.
- Reserve about 1/3 of the coconut cream for decoration and fold the remainder into the avocado mixture.
- Mix until well incorporated.
To make the shooters:
- Add a spoonful of crust mixture to the bottom of the shot glass.
- Using a piping bag (or plastic bag with the bottom corner cut off) add a layer of pie filling.
- Add another layer of crust on top of that and then add a dollop of whipped coconut cream.
- Top with lime zest and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2016 Camille's Paleo Kitchen
[responsive_video type=’youtube’ hide_related=’1′ hide_logo=’0′ hide_controls=’0′ hide_title=’0′ hide_fullscreen=’0′ autoplay=’0′]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ezGbwaLOc[/responsive_video]