Roasted Eggplant Stack
Here ‘s a simple yet fancy paleo and vegetarian dish loaded with flavor and nutrients. Awesome for a dinner party or weeknight meal.
- 1 large or 2 medium eggplants, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Puttanesca Sauce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (or 2 teaspoons fresh)
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 pitted Kalamata olives, halved (or sub with 3 tablespoons capers)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 small clove garlic (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Begin sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, oregano and pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the olives and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook until barely starting to wilt, about 2 1/2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the basil and salt.
- Combine cashews in a bowl with enough cold water to cover by 3 inches.
- Let cashews soak at least 5 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend, scraping down the sides for even combining.
- You can add a small amount of water if you'd like a slightly thinner consistency.
- Slice eggplant into 1 inch slices and arrange on a rimmed cookie sheet.
- Drizzle with avocado oil, salt and pepper and roast in oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until they are golden.
- Start with a piece of eggplant, top with a dollop of cashew cheese, then sauce.
- Repeat with another layer, garnish with fresh oregano and serve.
- Divide eggplant into 2 piles.
- Layer half on bottom of a 9 x 12 cake pan, spread 1/2 cheese, 1/2 sauce, repeat and return to oven until warmed through.
2016 Camille's Paleo Kitchen
[responsive_video type=’youtube’ hide_related=’1′ hide_logo=’0′ hide_controls=’0′ hide_title=’0′ hide_fullscreen=’0′ autoplay=’0′]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf155UiCm4g[/responsive_video]