Back in my private chef days in Santa Barbara, I used to make a fried chicken and cornbread salad reminiscent of one they made at restaurant called Tupelo Junction. It was a crowd favorite.
Southern Fried Chicken & “Corn” Bread Salad with Ranch Dressing
- 2 pounds sliced chicken breasts or tenders
- 2 cups coconut, almond or whole milk
- 2-3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 cups Otto's Cassava Flour
- 2 tablespoons all purpose seasoning (I found a coffee rub at Trader Joe's that was yummy)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt per cup of flour
- 2-3 cups Fatworks Beef Tallow & Duck Fat Blend
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup Otto's Cassava Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup cold Fatworks Leaf Lard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup homemade aioli or paleo mayo
- 1/3 cup water
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- Mixed baby greens or arugula
- dried cranberries
- pumpkin seeds
- avocado (optional)
- Combine milk, lemon juice, hot sauce and salt in a large bowl and stir. Add sliced chicken and stir well. Cover and chill for at least an hour and up to 8.
- Preheat beef tallow/duck fat combo to 350 degrees. Its not necessary for chicken to be fully submerged when it fries, but you will want at least 1 1/2 inches of melted fat.
- While cooking fat heats, bread chicken. Mix flour with salt and seasoning on a plate or shallow bowl. Whisk egg in another bowl. Remove one piece of chicken from buttermilk at a time and remove excess. Dredge in flour, then egg, then back in flour.
- Fry chicken pieces in fat, being careful not to overcrowd. Turn when nice and golden, 5-7 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cast iron skillet well and warm in oven. Blend all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and blend well.
- Pour the batter into the cast iron skillet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean or it springs back to the touch.
- Add all ingredients to blender and mix until well combined. Can whisk by hand, but chop
- dill small first.
- Start with greens then top with cranberries, pumpkin seeds and avocado. I personally love to toss this salad in a bit of balsamic vinaigrette (not shown in video and not necessary but I like the extra tang). Top with chopped fried chicken pieces of bread and drizzle with ranch dressing.
2016 Camille's Paleo Kitchen
[responsive_video type=’youtube’ hide_related=’1′ hide_logo=’0′ hide_controls=’0′ hide_title=’0′ hide_fullscreen=’0′ autoplay=’0′]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxZ2-9YHgDc[/responsive_video]